Monday, February 28, 2011
This is my son Jude. The painting started with carefully studied washes along the background, using viridian green and rose madder. Then I put a base wash over the carpet made of warmer colors, cadmium red and aureolin. The face started with rigid strokes with a small brush. After an hour of painting, I started feeling lethargic and hungry. I felt I was working and not having fun, so I took a large brush and started throwing colors fast, splashing reds and blues. The hands disappeared all of a sudden, but I didn't care as the focus needed to be on the face. I think having a good composition and color scheme eventually dominated the angry anxious brush strokes. At some point I wanted to throw the painting away. I took a break, ate some breakfast, then when I came back, I was surprised that I actually did a good painting. It does look like him too!!